Something Unexpected

Sunday, November 27, 2005
Supposed to be a busy weekend attending bridal show, checking out hotels and attending a colleague's daughter's wedding. However, on Friday afternoon, I received news that my grand-auntie had passed away due to kidney failure.

I lost the mood to work and even the mood to even visit the hotels we were supposed to check out. (Coincidentally, the original appointment that I had planned to go for had to be cancelled coz the girl is down with gum infection.) Though we had a backup, my dear got to work late due to some ad hoc assignments and I went to the wrong hotel.

Maybe it is a way of telling me that I should go and pay her my last respect. This great aunty is the sister of my grandma. She is one of my favourites as she used to baby-sit me and my aunties (her daughters) and grand uncle doted on me. I cannot remember the specifics but somehow, deep in my heart, I know that they are people who love me.

I still remember going to Yohan with them at Plaza Sing, sitting there watching the art lesson (one particular lesson that I still remember is using stockings to make beautiful flowers), time spent at Yamaha and the food court (not really a food court at that time) on level 7 or the MacDonald’s (at level 1), time spent at the toys section at the basement and there is a playground for us kids with lots of rides etc plus a special Christmas movie I watched with one of her daughters.

One of her daughters had influenced me to take up electone just because I heard her play "Jingle Bells" on the electone and I told my mum I want to learn when I was 5.

My great uncle also doted on me. There is this familiar tobacco smell that I still remember. I still remember my mum telling me that my grand auntie got a scolding from my granduncle when the mischievous me went to play with the stationery bike and had hurt my foot badly (there were lots of blood). Though the scar is not there anymore, the memories remain.

However, over these many years, and with each of us having our own busy schedules, we had grown apart. They had seemed want to keep a distance from us and we did not make enough effort to keep in touch with them, thinking that since this is the way the family wants to be, we shall leave it as it is.

I had wanted to see her again, after so many years at my wedding. I did not expect that all of us would come together at her funeral.

From what I understand, my aunties are not healthy – one has diabetes and another has kidney problems. My grand uncle is still working and my uncle is also helping out. They had aged a lot. My heart pains but what can I do? I can only pray that they will find strength in Jesus (they are Buddhist I think).

I will be going tomorrow to send my grand auntie on her final journey. I pray that even at the very last minute, she will find God and will be relieved of her pain on earth forever. I suppose we will never know as this is between her and God.

Dear Heavenly Father, please look after this family, that they will find strength in You. Let them give up their burden and their worries unto You. I sensed that my uncle is tired. Father, please send the Holy Spirit to refresh him, and to refresh the entire family. Father, please guide them along. I commit this family to You through Jesus Christ, Amen.

 
posted by Francesca Cecilia at 3:55 PM, |

0 Comments: