Possible to find Buddy @ workplace?

Wednesday, September 28, 2005
Am I getting old and so grown up that it is difficult to find real buddy at the workplace - Real buddy at workplace is someone who will see through the thick and thin with you.

I am coming to 6 months in my new job but I have still not found a regular lunch partner, someone to talk to etc. … hmm, I miss my ex-colleagues!!!

In my first job, it took me 4 months before I finally got to know S. She was quite intimidating at first and I didn’t really dare to talk to her. Ha ha. But the moment we started talking, topics just flow non-stop! Along came A and R and my gang @ work soon expanded and going to office is no longer a chore. We have formed a support group during my time in my first job. Even when each of us had left the company, we still try to meet up as often to catch up. S – getting married (to my classmate), R & A had moved on to greener pastures and I have also moved on.

In my second job, I took about 4 – 5 months to warm up to the people around me. At about the same time, SF came along. She is really a loyal friend. A lot older than me, more sensible and mature. I learnt a lot of things from her and we usually give each other support and help each other out.

In my current job, I am unable to tell who can be real buddies or who are pretenders. It is scary as each person works behind a façade. To play safe, I chose to keep a distance while still observing them (I suppose they are also observing me).

I suppose when human beings are put in a competitive environment, the real/natural self of a person is hidden. Instead, the competitive or heck-care streak comes out. I suppose this is human survivor skills.

How I wish I can go back to school days where friends are just your friends without harbouring any other motives and going back to time of childlike innocence …

Will I grow old to become a great pretender @ work? I hope not.
 
posted by Francesca Cecilia at 1:56 PM, |

0 Comments: